In this article, SMS-HEG will describe student safety while studying in the UK

Regarding student security, all UK universities go above and above. When you're an international student, you can turn to several different resources in the event of an unexpected problem. Don't worry; most universities offer nonstop security services.

Almost every university and college in the United Kingdom has set up an organization whose sole purpose is safeguarding their international student's security. First, you should inquire about such a service at your institute and store the security officials' contact information in your contact book.

Shuttles and security patrols are just two examples of the after-hours transportation options many universities and colleges provide. Some schools even offer a direct line to security via a smartphone app that all students can download. In addition, there is always security and monitoring via CCTV cameras. 

You must immediately notify the appropriate security officials if you ever feel threatened on campus or in your living hostels.


If you are in an emergency, you should call the free 24-hour hotlines 999 or 112. This is a universal number that can be dialed to get help from the police, the fire department, or an ambulance.

No matter how big or small a crime is, it should always be reported. You must also save the following numbers on your phone:

  • Gas emergency: 0800 111 999 
  • NHS health emergency: 0845 4647 
  • Dial 101 for anything that isn't an emergency

Always Stay Alert 

As an international student, you must be extra cautious and watchful. You should listen to your gut and avoid going to places you are unfamiliar with or feel unsafe.

You are required to carry a copy of all of your necessary documentation with you at all times as an international student. Keep all your essential documents in a secure location, including your passport, identity, visa paperwork, and immigration forms. If you like using cash over other payment methods, you should disperse it rather than keep it in a single spot. Using a card rather than cash when making a purchase is always preferable.

When exploring, you should not bring your passport with you. If you do not have a place to live permanently, you should get in touch with the international assistance team at your university so that they can provide you with storage facilities on campus.

During the pre-departure workshop, our SMS-HEG counselors will advise you on all of the preventative steps that should be taken before you leave your country.

Want to study abroad?

Send us your details. We will reach you.

I agree to SMS Terms and privacy policy
Do you need any advice before apply?

Subscribe! Receive Admission Updates Free

Get expert advice and suggestions about studying abroad.