SMS-HEG is committed to protecting your privacy and security. This policy explains how and why we use your personal data, to ensure you remain informed and in control of your information. SMS-HEG complies with the six principles of the General Data Protection Regulation. Personal data is:
- Processed fairly, lawfully, and transparently.
- Only used for the specified, clearly explained purpose it was collected for.
- Adequate, relevant, and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which they are processed.
- Kept accurate and up-to-date.
- Only kept for as long as it is needed (usually until a project or activity is complete) and is then removed and securely deleted.
- Processed in a manner that ensures appropriate security of the personal data; it is stored in secure systems and only transferred by secure means.
You can decide not to receive communications or change how we contact you at any time. If you wish to do so please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org telephoning 0207 265 8478.
We will never sell your personal data, and will only ever share it with organizations we work with where necessary and if its privacy and security are guaranteed.
Any questions you have in relation to this policy or how we use your personal data should be sent to Mr Shamim for the attention of SMS-HEG’s.
2. THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Data for carrying out the administrative functions of SMS-HEG
Your personal data (i.e. any information which identifies you, or which can be identified as relating to you personally) will be collected and used by the SMS-HEG
We collect the data you provide to us. This includes information you give when joining as a member or signing up to our newsletter, placing an order or communicating with us. For example:
- personal details (name, job title, organization, and email). This also includes address and telephone when you join as a member or supporter;
- details of SMS-HEG events you have attended.
Sensitive personal data for carrying out the administrative functions of SMS-HEG
We do not normally collect or store sensitive personal data (such as information relating to health, beliefs or political affiliation) about members and those signed up to SMS-HEG’s. However, there are some situations where this will occur (e.g. if you have an accident on one of our events). If this does occur, we’ll take extra care to ensure your privacy rights are protected.
Accidents or incidents
If an accident or incident occurs on our property, at one of our events or involving one of our staff then we’ll keep a record of this (which may include personal data and sensitive personal data).
3. HOW WE USE INFORMATION
We only ever use your personal data with your consent, or where it is necessary in order to:
- enter into, or perform, a contract with you;
- comply with a legal duty;
- protect your vital interests;
- for our own (or a third party’s) lawful interests, provided your rights don’t override these.
In any event, we’ll only use your information for the purpose or purposes it was collected for (or else for closely related purposes)
We use personal data for administrative purposes (i.e. for admission purposes). This includes:
- maintaining databases of our members and those signed up to our newsletter;
- fulfilling orders services (whether placed online, over the phone or in-person)
- helping us respect your choices and preferences (e.g. if you ask not to receive marketing material, we’ll keep a record of this).
4. DISCLOSING AND SHARING DATA
Your personal data that has been collected for the purposes of SMS-HEG’s administrative functions – which include your name, organisation, and email address are held by our mailing list provider. This information is not shared with any other organisation. If you wish to unsubscribe from our mailing list at any time, you can do so by clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link, found at the bottom of any email we send you – or by sending your name and email email@example.com stating Unsubscribe’ in the email in the subject line or body of the email. Data from third parties that we hold for admission purposes will never be disclosed or shared without the written agreement of the data controller.
We use personal data to communicate with people, to promote SMS-HEG products. This includes keeping you up to date with information from SMS-HEG on our events, news other information relating to our work. You can decide not to receive communications or change how we contact you at any time. If you wish to do so please contact us emailing firstname.lastname@example.org telephoning 0207 265 8478
6. HOW WE PROTECT DATA
We employ a variety of physical and technical measures to keep your data safe and to prevent unauthorized access to, or use or disclosure of your personal information. Electronic data and databases are stored on secure computer systems and we control who has access to information (using both physical and electronic means). All staff receive data protection training and we have a set of detailed data protection procedures which personnel is required to follow when handling personal data set out in our policies. Copies of these policies are available on request.
Where we store information
SMS-HEG’s operations are based in England and we store our data within the European Union.
How long we store information
We will only use and store information for so long as it is required for the purposes it was collected for. How long information will be stored depends on the information in question and what it is being used for. For example, if you ask us not to send you marketing emails, we will stop storing your emails for marketing purposes (though we’ll keep a record of your preference not to be emailed). We continually review what information we hold and delete what is no longer required.
8. KEEPING YOU IN CONTROL
We want to ensure you remain in control of your personal data. Part of this is making sure you understand your legal rights, which are as follows:
- The right to confirmation as to whether or not we have your personal data and, if we do, to obtain a copy of the personal information we hold (this is known as subject access request);
- The right to have your data erased (though this will not apply where it is necessary for us to continue to use the data for a lawful reason);
- The right to have inaccurate data rectified;
- The right to object to your data being used for marketing or profiling; and
- Where technically feasible, you have the right to personal data you have provided to us which we process automatically on the basis of your consent or the performance of a contract. This information will be provided in a common electronic format.
Please keep in mind that there are exceptions to the rights above and, though we will always try to respond to your satisfaction, there may be situations where we are unable to do so. This is particularly the case where we receive surveys or administrative data from third parties for admission purposes as this will nearly always be in de-identified or anonymized formats. This means that no directly identifying information is shared with us. In these situations, the data collector will have provided you with a privacy notice that informs you how your data will be used but because we do not know who you are, we are not able to directly provide you with a privacy notice ourselves. In any situation, if you would like further information on your rights or wish to exercise them, please write to SMS-HEG’s email to email@example.com for the attention of Mr. Shamim.
You can complain to SMS-HEG directly by contacting us using the details set out above. If you are not happy with our response, or you believe that your data protection or privacy rights have been infringed, you can complain to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office which regulates and enforces data protection law in the UK. Details of how to do this can be found at www.ico.org.uk
9. COOKIES AND LINKS TO OTHER SITES
Links to other sites
Our website contains hyperlinks to many other websites. We are not responsible for the content or the functionality of any of those external websites (but please let us know if a link is not working by using the ‘Contact’ link at the top of the page).